It sounds simples, but there is an art to poaching an egg. Give it a whirl (literally) ’cause this is one brunch staple that’s very useful to master.
white wine vinegar
chunk of bread
large plum tomato
handful of mushrooms
1. Put water in a saucepan and leave to heat.
2. Crack an egg into a small cup without breaking the yolk.
3. Once water is boiling, reduce heat and allow to simmer. Add one tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
4. Take a whisk, whirl water around and gently tip egg into the centre.
5. Allow to simmer for two mins.
6. Lift the egg out with a spoon and place on top of toasted bread with grilled tomatoes and mushrooms. Use lettuce leaves to garnish.
7. Season with fresh black pepper.