Two friends have decided to do something special for the Irish Cancer Society after both losing someone close to them to cancer.
The 14-year-old, Adam Tobin and Cillian Murphy, will begin a 300km cycle from their home town of Clonegal, Co. Carlow to Ballyshannon in Co. Donegal this week.
The teens have taken on this challenge to raise money for the Irish Cancer Society and have so far raised over €6000 on Go Fund Me.
Sadly, like most people, both Adam and Cillian have lost somebody close to them by cancer. This inspired the teenagers to give back to the Irish Cancer Society in the form of a sponsored cycle.
Speaking about the cycle, Adam said: “Cillian and I began cycling at the beginning of lockdown in 2020, sometimes we would go on 50km cycles at a time. We had joked around about cycling to Donegal, but after some thinking we decided we would do it for charity. Cillian lost his aunty to cancer early this year and I lost my grandad to cancer four years ago, so we were inspired to give back to the Irish Cancer Society by doing a fundraising cycle from Clonegal to Donegal”
The trip is expected to take five days and Adam and Cillian anticipate cycling 60km-80km each day. In total, the cycling route should take 16 hours to complete. Adam’s mother will be acting as Soigneur, the person who feeds, waters and takes care of the young cyclists and will follow them in her Campervan throughout the trip.
- On the 22nd of July the boys are setting off from Clonegal, they will go through Carlow town and plan on reaching Portlaoise on day one.
- On day two, the 23rd of July, they will be in Mullingar Co. Westmeath.
- By day three, the 24th of July, they will be in Roosky, Co. Roscommon.
- On day four, the 25th of July, they will be going from Roosky to Lough Allen in Co. Leitrim.
- On their final day, day 5, the 26th of July, they will cycle to Ballyshannon in Co. Donegal.
You can follow them on their Instagram page Clonegal to Donegal to see how they get on!
Best of luck lads!
If you’ve got a story you’d like to share with us about you or a teen you know doing something special email editor firstname.lastname@example.org